From "A History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties"
Provided by The Grant County Museum
WILLIAM T. HAMILTON -Among the representative men of this section and one of the leading citizens of
Grant county is the gentleman of whom we now have the pleasure of writing. He has gained distinction in at
least two different lines of industry in the county and today stands as one of its leading merchants as well
as a successful agriculturiest and stockman, having been enabled by his ability and faithful dealing to build up
a fine trade in the town of Hamilton, where he resides.
Mr. Hamilton was born in Nultnomah county, this state, on October 20, 1867, being the son of John H. and Mary J.
Hamilton. From near Oregon City, the place of his birth, the parents moved to the place where our subject is now
living, in 1872, and here he spent the early years of his life in looking after the stock of his father. He was enabled to
attend school but little on account of the school being distant four miles, and also because his eyes were not
sufficiently strong to allow him to study. Thus his early education was limited, but by careful observation and treauring
up with an excellent memory what he has dug out by himself in odd times, he has come to be well informed and is thoroughly drilled in
the business of which he has shown himself master. His parents were the first settlers in Indian valley on Deer creek and the
town of Hamilton was named after them. Mr. Hamilton now owns three hundred and forty acres of good land, which is well improved and
carefully looked after; he also has a large band of cattle and horses. In 1897 he erected a store building in Hamilton and occupied it
with a stock of general merchandise. His careful attention to the wants of his customers and uprightness in dealing have
won for him a fine trade that is constantly increasing. He has a beautiful modern residence in the town and a good barn and
orchard in addition to his store building.
The marriage of Mr. Hamilton and Miss Ella, daughter of D.D. and Mamie Hinton of Hamilton, was celebrated on November 01, 1896, and to
them have been born one son, Criss. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the W. of W., Lodge No. 581, in Hamilton. He is deeply interested in
educational matters and has been instrumental in forwarding the cause much in his district, having acted as clerk, and always being
interested in any movement that will advance the cause. He has won the esteem and confidence of the entire community and is highly respected