From "A History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties"
Provided by The Grant County Museum
ZACHARIAH J. MARTIN -Among the worthy representatives of Grant county there cannot be failure to mention
the esteemed gentleman whose name heads this article, unless there should be serious incompleteness
in our volume, for his life of faithful endeavor and commendable achievement as an educator for a decade
and also in administering the law in a judicial capacity have been marked and faithful, while his walk has ever
been such as to win the confidence and command the respect of all the people.
Mr. Martin was born in April, 1869, in the Golden State, being the son of P.C. and Phoebe (Davis) Martin, natives
respectively of Indiana and Missouri, the father having crossed the plains in 1854, and the mother in the previous year,
both having had the experience of riding the entire distance behind ox teams. Their marriage occurred in March 1862,
and in 1869 they came to Oregon. Zachariah J. received his education in this state and at the age of
nineteen years began teaching school in Gilliam and Grant counties and continued in that capacity with undisturbed
and excellent success for ten years. From 1890 to 1897 he was justice of the peace in the Haystack precinct and his
decisions and administration of the law were marked with ability and integrity. In 1898 the people of Grant county
called him to act as county treaurer, he having run on the Republican ticket. In this capacity he is acting at the
present time, and it is with credit to himself and advantage to his constituency. In fraternal affiliations he is
associated with the W. of W., Lodge No. 222, Canyon City. Mr. Martin is universally beloved and esteemed, being
possessed of those qualities that are the admiration of all and displaying geniality, ability and integrity
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
..... Return to Grant County, Oregon Home Page
..... Return to "A Place Called Oregon"