The New Atlas

Vale, Malheur Co., Oregon - Feb. 06, 1890

Local Matters Follow the Preceding US News

Frozen In The Storm

Tacoma, Wash., Jan. 22.
At least ten human beings and thousands of cattle and sheep perished in the blizzard which began with the year and raged over Washington for a week. Cattle are dying by hundreds from starvation and thirst in the Collville reservation, and the ground is covered with over two feet of snow on the level. In some places the snow is drifted mountain high. The keeper of the stage station, twelve miles from Alma, started to walk to town last Thursday and Sunday his body was found on the prairie, only a mile from his home, frozen stiff. The mail carrier at Wild Goose creek perished on the same day and eight cattlemen are known to have lost their lives in the storm. Cattlemen estimate that they will lose one-half of their herds.

Wreck Near Omaha.

Omaha, Neb., Jan. 22.
The suburban train on the Missouri Pacific railway was wrecked within two miles of Omaha this morning. William Boyle, station agent at Druid Hill, who was a passenger on the train, was instantly killed. Eight other passengers were injured, two of them, Albert Mitzlass, a fourteen year old boy, and James O. Harvey, a carpenter, probably fatally. The wreck was caused by a read end collision.

Much Disgruntled.

Washington, Jan. 22.
The Cherokees are at last beginning to realize that the days of their possession of the Cherokee Strip are numbered and that the time is soon at hand, notwithstanding their opposition, when they must yield to power of the Government and demand for the advancement of civilization.

A new delegation, consisting of three half blood Cherokees, visited Secretary Noble yesterday and had quite a protracted interview with him concerning the Cherokee Ooutlet and the action of the Commissioners appointed to negotiate for the cession of the Strip. When they came away they were very much disgruntled and told their friends that Secretary Noble said to them that they had already been paid once for the Strip and they were now offered a fair price to buy it over again, which they were foolishly declining to accept, that they might as well understand and make up their minds that it would be but a very brief period before the plowshare of the white man would be turning the sod of the Strip which is now occupied by the cattlemen, who were there without warrant of law.

Young Elkins Sentenced.

Des Moines, Iowa, Jan. 23.
Judge Hoyt has passed sentence upon the youngest life convict ever sent up. His name is John Wesley Elkins and he is only twelve years old. On the night of July 17 he shot his father while he was asleep and killed his mother with a club. His infant sister he carefully dressed, took a buggy with him and started for his grandfather's, where he told a story of murder by unknown men. He was not suspected at first, but his peculiarly calm behavior led to his arrest a week later. He confessed and said he had desired to leave home, but his parents objected.

Killed In Court

Galveston, Tex., Jan. 22.
In the court house here yesterday Kyle Terry, nephew of the late Judge David Terry, of California, was shot and instantly killed and two men badly wounded. The killing was the outcome of the Fort Bend troubles which resulted some time ago in a bloody battle between the citizens of Richmond.

Some months ago Terry, who was a tax assessor of Fort Bend County and a member of what is known as the Woodpecker party, had a difficulty with the three Gibson boys, all members of the Jaybird party. Five weeks later Terry met one of the Gibson brothers in Wharton and killed him. When the case came up for trial Terry got a change of venue to Galveston County. Galveston had nothing to do with the case further than to give a fair trial. Judge Parker, indicted for murder in Fort Bend County, also secured a change of venue to this county.

The cases were set for yesterday and witnesses for both the prosecution and defense had brought to this city a large number of adherents of both factions of Fort Bend County. A large special venire of citizens had been summoned for jury service in these cases to appear at the court house at one o'clock. A few minutes after that hour Kyle Terry, his brother, Captain David Terry, of California, Judge Parker, Judge Weston and some others entered the front door of the court house.

Terry turned to the left toward the stairway and had just reached the second step when a shot was fired. It struck him under the right arm and came out of the left breast and literally tore his heart to pieces.

There was a moment's lull and then four or five shots were fired from different directions. One passed through the arm of Judge Weston and through the leg of Henry Pittle, a Galvestonian.

Eye witnesses say three men were shooting - Vol Gibson, who killed Terry and whose brother Terry had killed in Wharton, Dan Ragsdale and young Mitchell, all from Fort Bend County and all Jaybirds.

Immediately after the shooting six arrests were made - the principal one Vol Gibson, who fired the first and only fatal shot. He is a young man about twenty-five years old and treats the matter cooly. He was the oldest man in the attacking party, four of the others being under twenty-one years of age.

It was evident that the intention was to kill Weston and Parker as well as Terry - the two latter because they were Woodpeckers.

Judge Parker is a member of the State Legislature from Fort Bend County and is charged with having been the cause of the late riot in Richmond. He is charged with the killing of a negro woman during the Richmond riot.

Murder and Robbery Suspected.

Little Rock, Ark., Dec. 06.
The mysterious disappearance of an entire family is reported from Yellville. John Morris, living near Summerville, Mo., sent his wife and three children, aged ten, seven and four years respectively, under the care of Joseph Graves, to Jasper, Ark. The party traveled overland in a wagon, and Graves returned to Summerville and reported that he had left Mrs. Morris and the children at Jasper. When Morris himself reached that town he found that his family had never reached there. Murder and robbery are suspected.

Earthquake in New Hampshire.

Dover, N.H., Dec. 05.
Early Tuesday morning the inhabitants of Alton Bay were awakened by an earthquake shock which jarred the houses. Many people rushed from their beds. Crockery and glassware were broken. Clocks were stopped at 1:29. A second shock was more severe than the first. People then rushed from their houses, expecting they would tumble down. The bell on the steamer Mount Washington in the middle of the bay was rung. The shock was also felt at Alton and Gilford, but not so severe.

Tragedy At Butler.

Butler, Mo., Dec. 5.
The most terrible tragedy which has ever taken place in this city was enacted Tuesday night, at ten o'clock, at the residence of City Marshal J.H. Morgan, and by which Deputy United States MarshalJ.P. Willis, as well as Morgan, lost their lives.

On Monday Willis was on the streets drunk and quarrelsome, and finally attackedCaptain J.W. Hannah, who, after some parleying, knocked him down with a cane. Soon after this Marshal Morgan put him in the cooler from which he was released a couple of hours afterwards, upon giving bond to keep the peace and to appear for trial on Saturday next.

Tuesday morning Willis, with S.P. Francisco, left for Kansas City, where it transpires that Willis swore out a warrant for Morgan and Hannah, charging them with obstructing a United States officer in the discharge of his duties.

They returned at ten o'clock at night, accompanied by S.S. Price, an agent of a building and loan association, of Washington D.C. Willis and Price went at once to the residence of Morgan and called him to the door and told him they had come for him.

Both fired their guns at almost the same instant, and both shots penetrated the bowels of the other. Willis and Price then grabbed Morgan, drew him from the house and Willis beat him brutally about the head and also fired two or three additional shots into his then prostrate body. The neighborhood was arounsed and both wouunded men were carried to the house. Four shots were gone from Willis' revolver and one from Morgan's. Price was conveyed to jail where he will likely remain for some time. Morgan died at 1:30 and Willis at four o'clock.

Of Recent Occurrence.

The Gabilan ranch of 7,655 acres in Monterey County was sold the other day for $230,000.

The courts of Berks Co., Pa., have decided that a type-written will is illegal.

Delaware Co., Pa., let her one hundredth anniversary go by recently without taking note of it.

The Chicago public library has been awarded a gold medal by the jury on instruction and education at the Paris exposition.

A lion in the Philadelphia Zoo, suffering from the toothache, his keeper administered laughing gas, put the beast to sleep and safely extracted the offending molar.

A Washington lady recently purchased in Winchester a mahogany sideboard over one hundred years old and shipped it to the wife of ex-President Cleveland as a present.

At Memphis, Tenn., Mrs. Annie Evans [colored] lately brought an action against Patrolman, Conway [white] for calling her "Aunty" on the street. She lays her damages at $5,000.

Mrs. McAdow, one of the owners of the Spoiled Horse Mine of Montana, recently drove into Helena in a buckboard, unattended, carrying a gold brick worth $40,000. It took two porters and a truck to get the heavy mass of gold from the wagon into the bank.

An old musket which had done service during the late war, now among the relics in the Libby prison at Chicago, suddenly "went off" with a terrific report, though it was reclining against a pillar, and no one was within two yards. How it was exploded is a mystery, for the charge must have been in the gun for twenty-six years.

The Chinese pupils of the New York Sunday-schools have opened a clubhouse for their mutual entertainment. All the Chinese newspapers will be found there and the services of a lawyer have been retained to give free legal advice to the members. chess, checkers and backgammon will be admitted in the club, but the insidious fan-tan will be strictly tabooed. It is a club for "good" Chinamen only.

Local Matters.

Frank Napton went to Montana last week.

Tom Jones is expected back Saturday week.

Charley Wood is back from the mail service.

Robert Liberty has opened a shoe shop at Hess' hall.

Chas. Crawford was up from the metropolis this week.

J.C. Brown and wife arrived from Jordan Valley Monday.

Harry Watson is over from Jordan Valley on land business.

Morg Logan shot the largest goose of the season Monday. It weighed 14 lbs.

First of next week we will have on sale a fine line of holiday goods. K., S. & D.

The Hon. John D. Shaw, of Burns, is headed this way, with his baggage checked for the round trip.

D.F. Fairchild has qualified as postmaster at Grove, with S.P. Stacey and Tom Glenn bondsmen.

Ed. Eames and Miss Gilgan were married a few days ago and are receiving congratulations at Ontario.

W.S. Boswell, of Malheur, was in town Friday; he reports business good and republican success morally certain.

Judge Bradley writes from Malheur: "Plenty of the Beautiful in this section of the country and prospects good."

Tom Holliday is camped at the hot springs opposite town for a fight with his old enemy, rheumatism. Everybody hopes Tom's name will be Sullivan.

George Dyeds [sp?] is rebuilding the interior of his shop and will soon be ready for business. He has gone up to Malheur to see the folks but will be back about Thursday.

It will be a matter of interest to the friends he made while here last year, to learn that Judge Adams, who got married just after he went back to Portland, Maine, has become the father of a bouncing boy.

Lyte Howard got in from Drewsey Tuesday night and has since returned with his wife and child, the little girl having fully recovered under Dr. Sifton'streatment. Lyte is one of the commissioners of Harney county and was attending the session at the county seat, and did not hear of the child's illness until reaching home Monday night.

Victor Miller, who was said by the Press to be a defaulter, went back to Harney Saturday. He walked up from the railroad Thursday night, and when the administratrix of the Scott estate was notified the next night of his presence here she made a flying trip to this city and rounded him up; he was indebted to Mr. Scott several hundred dollars.

In reference to the marriage notice printed last week, in which there was a grievous error, we apologize as follows, to wit: To Arthur Glenn, for making a Mormon of him; to Arthur Sevey, for omitting him; and to the bride for the general hideousness of the affair. Some time next year when we get a due-bill for a buggy or a cradle we'll make this more binding.

Miss Rilla Taylor, formerly of Ontario, was married at Harney on the 4th to Wm. H. Gass, book-keeper of the Pete French ranch. They have the congratulations of The New Atlas.

Insane Freak of Jas. McKean Arnold. James McKean Arnold, who passed through here October 19th, after spending a month hunting, fishing and snap-shotting at "Pap" Arnold's, at Beulah, went crazy and captured the east-bound train out of Portland on the 3d. With a big revolver he held up all the bandits miscalled porters, and terrorized the passengers. The conductor telegraphed ahead to Pendleton for officers, and on arrival he was secured. A brother in Philadelphia, where Arnold also resides, was wired of the affair.

During his stay in this county Arnold showed no signs of insanity; those who met him found him to be a gentleman well informed on all subjects. With his camera he took views of everybody and everything for development when he got back. It is to be regretted that he went off his base.

A Harney Self-Abused Lunatic. Sheriff Cowing of Harney got in Tuesday with a candidate for the asylum named John Parker, a lunatic like Frank Hantz, who was sent up from this county. Parker hadn't eaten anything for a couple of days, and the way he got away with the grub threatened bankruptcy to Boynton's.

Miss Carrie Woodard, of Milton, is visiting her relatives here.

Otto Schweizer was in from the Owyhee Monday.

Return to Oregon Newspaper Index
İYear 2000 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved