THE OREGON STATE PENITENTIARY
Built In 1866 And Still In Full Use Today
The old Oregon Territorial Prison was built in 1854, and was originally housed in Portland. In
1866, the prisoners were transported from Portland to this newly constructed prison
site located in Salem, the State Capitol of Oregon.
The new prison was plagued by escapes due to faulty design of the 15 foot high perimeter walls.
"In September of 1866 Warden J.C. Gardner patented the infamous Gardner Shackle or Oregon Boot."
This same penitentiary is in full use today and houses between 1900-2100 prison inmates.
Please Click Here To Visit The Oregon State Penitentiary Home Page
And To Read More On The
Infamous "Oregon Boot."