PHILOMATH, OREGON [BENTON COUNTY]
The wonderful postcard above was published by, S.L. Keezel about 1904. The note on the back appears to
Mr. Oliver A. Felger, Philomath, Benton Co., Oregon Box 74.
"This was Als' little shop - he sold Feb. 1904."
About Benton County
Benton County was created out of an area originally inhabited by the Klickitat
Indians, who rented it from the Calapooia Indians for use as hunting grounds. Portions
of the county were taken to form Lane, Douglas, Jackson, Lincoln, Josephine, Curry and Coos Counties.
The County Seat is in Corvallis and its namesake is, Senator Thomas Hart of Missouri, longtime advocate
of the development of the Oregon Territory.
Philomath means "love of learning," and was named after the Philomath College established there in 1867.
The college closed in 1927 and in 1980 evolved as the new, "Benton County Historical Museum."
Please Click Here To Read More On The History Of Benton County, Oregon